In November, the YMCA of Delaware hosted a press conference to announce a building expansion project for its Brandywine YMCA located at 3 Mount Lebanon Road in Wilmington, Delaware.
“The Brandywine Y has been a part of our local community since 1965,” said Jim Ryan, Executive Director of the Brandywine YMCA. “We’ve done a great job serving local families and individuals, but through member feedback, surveys and focus groups, we realize that if we want to continue our strong community impact for the next 50 or more years, we need to expand our services, resources and space.”
The project is slated to begin in the spring of 2017. Some of the highlights of the building expansion will include:
- 16,000 square feet added to the second floor
- A youth wellness center and dedicated space for teen programs
- New and renovated classrooms for preschool which will allow us to serve more children
- Community education rooms for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program classes and meetings
- Adaptive fitness equipment throughout the fitness center and pool areas for members with limited mobility
- Larger fitness center, a second fitness studio for group exercise classes and programs for
This $5 million dollar expansion is being funded through community support. The YMCA has launched the “Eyes on the Future” fundraising campaign to raise the last $1.5 million dollars needed to complete the project.
For additional information about this campaign or sponsorship opportunities, please contact Matt Clements, Director of Philanthropy, at (302) 571-6962 or Mclements@ymcade.org.