Our eyes are on the future at the Brandywine YMCA! Our Y has been a vital part of the Brandywine community since 1966. Over the years, we’ve grown and changed thousands of lives in North Wilmington. Because of our growth, we are excited to announce the expansion and renovation of our current facility! You can navigate below to learn more about the impact we will have through renovating and expanding our Y.
UPGRADED FITNESS CENTER
With over 20,000 members and an outdated facility, finding space to work out and stay healthy is one of the largest challenges facing our members. Our campaign centers on creating a new, state of the art Fitness Center, giving our members over 11,000 additional square feet to work out on new fitness equipment.
ENHANCING YOUTH WELLNESS
Youth development and wellness is at the core of who we are. Our YMCA plays a vital role in promoting healthy living at a young age and ensuring that our kids are happy, healthy, and physically active.
With over 4,000 youth registered at the Brandywine YMCA every year, our expanded Youth Wellness Center will provide a dedicated space for youth to engage, exercise, and socialize with their peers. This vital addition to the Brandywine YMCA will help build a healthy community and prevent childhood obesity and risk of diabetes.
CLOSING THE ACHIEVEMENT GAP
Research shows that early childhood education can produce substantial gains in a child’s learning and development. Specifically, preschool education provides steady gains on achievement test scores, along with fewer occurrences of grade retention and placement in special education programs. Other long-term benefits from preschool education include increased high school graduation rates and decreased crime and delinquency rates.
The Brandywine YMCA has offered a high quality preschool program for over 25 years. With the expansion of our facility, we will be able to serve 75 children every year in a secure and welcoming early childhood education center.
An important component of our expansion campaign is to create dedicated space and utilize specialized equipment to serve senior citizens with mobility difficulties and individuals with disabilities.
New harness systems and specialized exercise machines will enable everyone, regardless of physical abilities, to benefit from the Brandywine YMCA and lead healthy lifestyles.
This initiative will enable members of any age with a disability, including paralysis or walking/balance issues, to safely participate in activities at our YMCA, including:
- Fitness classes with support from a unique harness system
- Walking on a treadmill with a multi-plane harness system
- Receiving motor-assisted, active resistive movement therapy on a MOTOmed
Click here to watch a short video on the program’s impact.
MAKING SPINNING A MAINSTAY
As our members know, the lack of space in our current facility limits our options to provide high-quality spinning classes on a regular basis. With the expansion, we will install a state of the art spin room with 35 bikes. The spin room will empower us to provide a high quality and enjoyable spinning experience.
HEALTHY LIVING PROGRAMS
Above all, the Y stands for Healthy Living. Our facilities, our programs and mission are aligned to build a strong and healthy community. A vital component of our expansion will create additional space for evidence-based initiatives such as our LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Program, Diabetes Prevention Program and Healthy Weight and Your Child Program.
- New, challenging group exercise classes including Les Mills BodyPump, Body Attack, CXWorx, Sprint, Yoga, Zumba, Barre, Pilates, HIIT
- More convenient schedules to meet the needs of today’s families
- Mommy and Me Classes
- Expanded Babysitting, Kids Zone and Youth Fitness Hours to accommodate your favorite adult group exercise class schedule
- New opportunities for social and emotional development through songs, movement, play, learning centers, art activities, games, reading and more in our Kids Zone.
- Meet parents and families with similar interests
- Family Fitness Classes for all ages– BodyAttack, HIIT, Yoga, Teen Cycling and Indoor Tri-Training
- Lowered the age of entry into Adult Fitness Center (12 and older) and Youth Fitness Center (7 and older)
- Expanded small group personal training for adults and youth: TRX, Kettlebell, Functional Training, youth agility training, sport specific conditioning
- Expanded Adaptive Fitness programming with at least 6 suspension systems in the adult and youth fitness centers as well as group exercise rooms
- With additional space, we will be able to ensure value added offerings at popular time slots so that the entire family can either do something active together or apart! For example: Mom can go to a group exercise class, Dad can work out in the fitness center, grandparents attend an aquatics class, children attend a youth fitness class or go to the youth fitness center. On the other hand, If the family wants to work out together, they can attend a family friendly group exercise class on dry land or in the pool!
- School of Dance is back! With dedicated teachers, children learn technique, creativity and the art of dance.
- Teen Leaders (Grades 6-12) and Junior Leaders (Grades 3-6), both returning September 2018, are clubs that bring small groups together around the concepts of team-building, volunteerism and social awareness!
- Youth In Government – Allows 6-12th graders the opportunity to experience how the local legislative and judicial branches run in Delaware. The coolest part is students prepare, draft and debate bills on the actual floor of legislative hall! The program’s recent growth includes a middle school group, a judicial branch and even an opportunity to act as a lobbyist!
- Enhanced Before and After School programming, teaching students team work, problem solving, critical/creative thinking, and decision making.
Will the Brandywine Y remain open during the expansion project?
Yes, we will remain open.
Should we expect any changes in the Fitness Center during the construction?
Schedule changes will briefly affect the Youth Wellness Center side of the Fitness Center. Otherwise, we do not anticipate any disruptions in the fitness center.
Will the pools and the locker rooms be affected?
The pools and the locker rooms should not be affected during construction.
When will the Movement Studio re-open?
The Movement Studio has re-opened with the completion of phase one of our project.
What about babysitting? Will Kids Zone be open?
Kids Zone and Babysitting are back at the Y, and temporarily located off the newly enhanced front lobby. Expanded hours are now available. Download the app or stop by the Member Services Desk for a copy of the schedule.
Will I be able to use the elevator to get up to the gym?
The elevator will be replaced and will not be available until the completion of the project. We will make every effort to schedule classes for seniors in the Youth Wellness Center on the first floor.
The front parking lot, front door and lobby are closed. Where do I go?
Signs will direct you to enter the parking lot through the Baptist Church entrance next door, and you will be able to park in the back of the building and in the church parking lot. We will have several additional handicapped spots located as close to the back entrance of the Y as possible. You will be able to enter the building through the back door. Member Services staff will be there to serve you and answer your questions. This is where you will also be able to find your favorite cup of coffee.
Where can I find more information on the project and get updates?
Emails will be sent out regularly, and updates will be available on our Facebook page (be sure to like our page). The information TVs around the Y will have updates, pictures and video of the progress. Text messages will be sent out with any last minute changes. To sign up for texts, send a text to 81010 with @bryalerts in the body of the text. We will also continually update this page.
I want to make sure I am getting the email updates. What should I do?
Stop by the front desk and ask to verify the primary email address we have on file for you. You can also update your own contact information by going to our website.
I want to be a part of this! How can I support this effort and help the Y better serve our community with additional program space?
Visit www.ymcade.org/eyesonthefuture/ and click on “donate now.” Thank you in advance for your support.