The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles while reducing their chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
The YMCA program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach will help participants change their lifestyle by encouraging healthy eating, physical activity and other behavior modifications over the course of 16 one-hour sessions.
Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, you will meet monthly for up to a year for added support to help them maintain your progress.
Program goals include reducing body weight by 7% and gradually increasing physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week.
To qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must have a BMI above 25* and have been diagnosed with prediabetes or are at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
A diagnosis of prediabetes includes:
- HbA1c between 5.7 and 6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose between 100-125 mg/dL
- Random or casual blood glucose level of 2-hour Plasma Glucose between must be 140 – 199mg/dl
- Physician diagnosis of prediabetes
High risk of developing type 2 diabetes includes (must have at least 2 risk factors):
- Blood pressure is 140/90 or higher
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Participates in physical activity less than two times per week
- Has or had a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Has been diagnosed with prediabetes
- Had gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy), or given birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- 45 years of age or older
Class Locations and Schedules
|LOCATION||DAY, TIME||ESTIMATED START DATE|
|Dover||Monday, 6:30 p.m.||January 9|
|Newark||Tuesdays, 6:30 p.m.||January 10|
|North Wilmington||Thursdays, 10 a.m.||January 19|
|Dover||Thursdays, 2:00 p.m.||January 26|
|Dover||Thursdays 5:30 p.m.||March 23|
|Bear||Mondays, 11:00 a.m.||February 27|
|Lewes||Daytime (TBD)||April (TBD)|
|Wilmington||Daytime (TBD)||March/April (TBD)|
|Milford||Daytime (TBD)||March (TBD)|