When school is out, the Y is in!
As Delaware’s largest licensed childcare provider, we are committed to serving all students engaged in distance learning through high-quality care and remote learning assistance. Our Learning Support Centers will combine fun, character-building activities with educational support. Participants will receive an opportunity for homework help along with assistance to complete school assignments.
Space is Limited. Register Today! Notice: Most locations are currently at or close to capacity. We are working to add spots and additional locations. Please check back for updates. If there are no spots currently available, you may also be added to our waiting list by clicking on the “enroll” button on the registration page.
Locations: Learning Support Centers are currently available at multiple locations in New Castle County. For the most current list, visit our registration page. As school districts make decisions and finalize their plans for the school year, we hope to add additional locations and will continue to evaluate the program and make adjustments as needed.
Learning Support Centers will provide full-day care from 7 am to 6 pm, Monday – Friday for students ages 5 – 12* in a safe, supportive environment.
- Remote learning assistance will be available to help students log onto their virtual class and they will be encouraged to participate.
- Social enrichment opportunities and physical fitness activities will also be provided.
- Students will be in small groups of no more than 15 children and each group will be supervised by a YMCA of Delaware trained staff members.
- Students will bring their own device (computer or tablet), headphones, and any other equipment needed for their virtual learning.
- Since March, the Y has provided emergency childcare and summer camp, safely serving more than 2,000 children statewide. We will continue to follow guidelines set forth by the state of Delaware to ensure everyone’s health and safety. See below for our protocols.
- Registration is open for those wishing to enroll in the program five days per week. Click here to get started today!
- The full-day program begins on September 8th and runs Monday through Friday from 7 AM – 6 PM.
- Cost: $250 per week for YMCA members | $325 per week for non-members
A deposit of $100 for members and $150 for non-members will be due at the time of registration. All deposits are not refundable. A two-week notice is required for cancellation. We will bill on the 1st and 15th of each month. (*Not applicable for Lancashire Elementary registrations)
- Financial assistance is available. If you are a POC recipient, please contact the Branch for more information on enrollment. Your registration is not complete until all required documents and information are received by the YMCA.
*Walnut Street YMCA will serve K – 12th Grade students.
Our number one priority is the health and well-being of our children, staff, and community.
We’re following guidelines from health experts and local officials to ensure that our childcare programs meet the highest standards for hygiene and safety, and we have modified our policies and programs to facilitate safe physical distancing practices.
- Extensive Staff Training – Staff members will have extensive training in safe physical distancing, stable groups, virus spread reduction, and the latest cleaning and disinfection protocols provided by the State of Delaware. In addition, all Y staff members receive training annually in child abuse prevention, first aid, CPR, and workplace safety.
- Orientation – All youth will participate in an orientation covering personal space, handwashing, and other best practices to protect their own health and safety.
- Spread love not germs – To ensure a squeaky-clean facility and healthy kids, we will implement frequent hand washing and increase cleaning and sanitation of all high-touch areas. Children and staff will be required to wash their hands prior to entering and before leaving all activity areas.
- Health Screenings – All children and staff will be screened daily. Anyone with a temperature over 99.5 and/or exhibiting other symptoms of illness will not be permitted to attend. Visitors will not be allowed on-site without special approval.
- Namast’ay 6 feet away – We are excited to offer lots of fun group activities while keeping everyone physically distant. Groups will consist of a maximum of 15 children. Children and staff will be assigned to one group for the duration of the program. Cohort groups of kids will be encouraged to stay together throughout the day and groups will be kept at least 6 feet apart at all times.
- Face Coverings– Per the Governor’s orders, effective at 8 am August 27th, children in Kindergarten and above will be required to wear masks unless they are outside and safe physical distancing is practiced, or they have an underlining health, behavioral or physical condition that prevents them from doing so safely. If a child is unable to wear a face covering for these reasons, parents must alert the Director immediately upon enrollment. YMCA staff are prohibited from discussing any information regarding a child with anyone other than the biological or legal guardian. Staff are required to wear a face covering at all times while indoors. All face coverings must be provided from home and washed/changed daily. Children will be reminded not to touch their face, nose or mouth often.
- Enhanced Drop-Off and Pick-Up Procedures – Parents and guardians will remain in their cars during drop-off and pick-up. A staff member will accompany each child to their pre-determined group. All staff will be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) such as masks and gloves during this process.
- Cleaning and Sanitation – Mr. Clean and our team will be constantly sanitizing with EPA approved cleaners. Staff will follow government guidelines, increasing the cleaning frequency of high touch areas. Equipment, supplies, and materials used in group activities will be cleaned before and after each use.