The numbers are shocking – 96 million American adults have prediabetes and 80% don’t know they have it. That means 1 in 3 Americans is at risk for developing type 2 diabetes and has no idea. Know your risk level. When it comes to prediabetes, knowledge isn’t just power, it could change the course of your life.
Here’s the good news – type 2 diabetes can often be prevented!
It’s not as hard as you think. With a little exercise and a change in diet, prediabetes often can be reversed, and the YMCA can help! Sign up today for our YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) There you will find a supportive group that understands your struggles and will help keep you motivated.
The best part – the Y’s Diabetes program is covered by most insurance providers so there are no out-of-pocket costs for you!
- If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where you will work with others in a small group setting to learn how to adopt healthy habits in order to reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
- The YMCA program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This program showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
- You may be eligible to enroll in the YMCA’s Prediabetes Prevention Program at no cost through your health insurance provider. The self-pay fee for the year-long program is $429. For details on the YMCA diabetes prevention program cost, including financial assistance and payment plans, please contact us.
- You’ll work with a trained lifestyle coach and a small group of people who are all working towards the same goal.
- It is a 12-month program that starts with 16 weekly meetings.
- After the initial 16 weekly sessions, you will meet for 3 sessions every other week, and then monthly for up to a year for added support to help maintain your progress.
- Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more.
- Program goals include reducing body weight by 7% and gradually increasing physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week.
- This is a proven program to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes, and cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half.
- Age (18 years or older)
- Not pregnant
- Overweight – A Body Mass Index of 25 or higher (23 or higher for Asian individuals)
- Not diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes or ESRD (End-Stage Renal Disease)
And have ONE of the following:
- Qualifying Risk Score (9 or greater) as determined by the risk assessment
- Qualifying blood glucose test value or diagnosed within the last year with prediabetes via a qualifying blood test value*
- A1C value 5.7 – 6.4%
- Fasting glucose 100-125 mg/dL (Medicare must be 110-125 mg/dL)
- 2-hour plasma glucose 140-199 mg/dL
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
* Medicare participants must have a qualifying blood test value to participate as Medicare beneficiaries
Class Locations and Schedules
|ESTIMATED START DATE
|Mondays at 9 a.m.
|Mondays at 6:05 p.m.
|Bear-Glasgow Family YMCA
|Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.
|Fridays at 6 p.m.
|Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m.
|Fridays TBA (Spanish)
|Mondays at 6 p.m.
|Bear-Glasgow Family YMCA
|Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.
|Newark Senior Center
|Wednesdays at 1 p.m.