Would I qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program?
There are several ways to qualify for the program. Blood glucose levels, including A1C or fasting glucose, or you may qualify based on results from the online risk test. Qualification may also be based on your body mass index (which is based on your height and weight), your blood sugar levels (blood test), your age (must be 18 or older), and history of gestational diabetes (meaning you developed diabetes when you were pregnant). See below for a full list of qualifications.
About the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program
- If you are at risk for type 2 diabetes, the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program provides a supportive environment where you will work with others in a small group setting to learn how to adopt healthy habits to reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
- The YMCA program is based on the landmark Diabetes Prevention Program funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This program showed that by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a small amount of weight, a person with prediabetes can prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes by 58%.
- You may be eligible to enroll in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program at no cost through your health insurance provider. The self-pay fee for the year-long program is $429. Financial assistance and payment plans are available for those who qualify.
- You’ll work with a trained lifestyle coach and a small group of people who are all working towards the same goal
- It is a 12-month program that starts with 16 weekly meetings.
- After the initial 16 weekly sessions, you will meet for 3 sessions every other week, and then monthly for up to a year for added support to help them maintain your progress.
- Topics covered include nutrition, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more.
- Program goals include reducing body weight by 7% and gradually increasing physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week.
- This is a proven program to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes, and cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by more than half. That’s kind of big news.
- Age (18 years or older)
- Not pregnant
- Overweight – A Body Mass Index of 25 or higher (23 or higher for Asian individuals)
- Not diagnosed with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes or ESRD (End-Stage Renal Disease)
And have ONE of the following:
- Qualifying Risk Score (9 or greater) as determined by the risk assessment
- Qualifying blood glucose test value or diagnosed within the last year with prediabetes via a qualifying blood test value*
- A1C value 5.7 – 6.4%
- Fasting glucose 100-125 mg/dL (Medicare must be 110-125 mg/dL)
- 2-hour plasma glucose 140-199 mg/dL
- Previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes
* Medicare participants must have a qualifying blood test value to participate as Medicare beneficiaries
During our 30-minute information sessions, you will learn about prediabetes and reducing your risk for developing type 2 diabetes through the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program. The information session will cover program eligibility, format, and additional benefits available through the YMCA of Delaware.
Please register in advance using the links below. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
November 16th, 12 pm
Register here – https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2088521648070010892
November 17th, 12 pm
Register here – https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7862590468661271820
Class Locations and Schedules
|LOCATION||DAY, TIME||ESTIMATED START DATE|
|Distance Learning||Mondays at 5:00 pm||August 8th|
|Modern Maturity Center (Dover)||Mondays at 1:00 pm||September 13th|
|Dover Y||Tuesdays at 6:00 pm||September 14th|
|Western Y||Wednesdays at 6:30 pm||September 15th|
|Distance Learning||Wednesdays at 10:00 am||September 15th|
|Lewes Senior Center||Thursdays at 2:30 pm||September 16th|
|Programas Virtuales - En Espanol!||Jueves a las 6:00 pm||Septiembre 16th|
|Bear Y||Fridays at 5:30 pm||September 17th|
|Brandywine Y||Saturdays at 10:00 am||September 18th|