The YMCA of Delaware has 8 outdoor pools for members to enjoy Memorial Day – September. It’s all here – lap lanes, zero-entry pools, water slides and splash pads. Not to mention generous deck space, plenty of chairs and shade. Not a member yet? Spend your summer at the Y and join today!
Want to bring a friend to the outdoor pool? No problem! Outdoor pool guest passes can be purchased online or in the branch. Guest passes can only be purchased by YMCA of Delaware members and are not available for purchase at the outdoor pools. See details and fees below.
For the most current schedules and closure information, please download our YMCA Daxko app.
June 13 – August 28
- Monday – Friday
- Brandywine YMCA (Hanby Outdoor Center): 3 pm – 8 pm
- Bear-Glasgow YMCA: 2 pm – 8 pm
- Dover YMCA (Dover Outdoor Center): 1 pm – 8 pm
- Middletown YMCA (Silver Lake Pool): 1 pm – 8 pm
- Western YMCA Complex: 2 pm – 8 pm
- Western YMCA 10-Lane: To follow main building operating hours
- Saturday & Sunday
- All locations: 10 am – 8 pm
August 29 – September 5
- Monday, August 29 – Thursday, September 1
- Bear-Glasgow YMCA: 11 am – 6 pm
- Brandywine YMCA (Hanby Outdoor Center): Closed
- Dover YMCA (Dover Outdoor Center): Closed
- Middletown YMCA (Silver Lake Pool): Closed
- Western YMCA Complex: Closed
- Western YMCA 10-Lane: To follow main building operating hours
- Friday, September 2 – Monday, September 5:
- All Outdoor Pools: 11 am – 6 pm *Western 10-lane pool to follow main building operating hours.
- Children 11 years of age and younger must be supervised at all times. Non-swimmers 14 years and younger must be supervised at all times.
- All children 14 years of age and younger must participate in a swimming skills assessment and will be provided with a colored wristband based on their swimming ability.
- Non-Swimmers must wear a life-jacket. Only U.S. Coast Guard approved lifejackets and wearable foam flotation devices are allowed. Users must remain within arm’s reach of an adult.
- Children in diapers must wear reusable plastic pant with snug elastic legs and waistband.
- Tobacco products and alcohol are prohibited on YMCA property.
- Large gatherings and celebrations such as birthday parties are not allowed.
- Please change in our locker room areas only. Diaper changing in pool area is prohibited.
- Prolonged underwater swimming or breath-holding (and hyperventilation) is not permitted.
- Feet-first entries only. Flips, spins or back dives are not permitted from the side of the pool. No diving is permitted in pools except in designated areas with a minimum of 9’ of water during posted times.
- Having a catch with a soft ball may be welcome depending on the number of other bathers at the pool. Lifeguards have the authority to make an appropriate judgement.
- Snorkeling mask (covering only nose & eyes) with a breathing tube may be worn by children when properly supervised by a parent/guardian. Full-face snorkel masks are NOT permitted.
Water Slide Guidelines
- All riders must wait at the bottom of the stairs in a single file line.
- All riders must be a green banded swimmer.
- One rider down the slide at a time.
- All riders must remain on their back and go down feet-first.
- Flotation devices and/or toys are not permitted down the water slide.
- All riders must wait to go until directed by the lifeguard and the drop-area at the bottom of the slide is clear of swimmers.
Lap Swim Guidelines
Two swimmers may share a lane without circle swimming.
- When the second swimmer enters the lane, they should alerts/notify the first swimmer.
- When additional swimmers are looking to enter the lane, circle swimming should begin but not before all swimmers in the lane are alerted/notified.
Youth who can exhibit the ability to swim continuous lengths of the pool without a flotation device are permitted to swim laps during posted lap swim times.
To ensure our organization is welcoming for all, WE DO NOT PERMIT:
- Clothing that is revealing, transparent, or has vulgar content (including underwear & thong swimsuits).
- Mermaid Tails & outfits are prohibited in any YMCA of Delaware indoor or outdoor pool as they pose a personal safety risk to the swimmer.
Acceptable clothing for our facility includes:
- Clothing that is water repellent and lightweight, e.g. swimwear material
- Football type jerseys (with holes)
- Head coverings/headscarves no longer than shoulder length
- Specialized swimsuits designed with modesty in mind – Such as a “Burqini,” which traditionally includes three separate pieces: pants, a long t-shirt, and a head cover
- Latex or lycra running tights and shirts
- Nylon jerseys
- Rash-guards are commonly used under scuba wear but can also be used as swimwear
- Swim caps
- The YMCA periodically conducts safety drills by simulating emergencies including vigilance testing of our lifeguards. Following staff instructions during a drill is greatly appreciated.
- Chairs and personal belongings must remain a minimum of 6-feet from the pool edge at all times.
- To prevent the spread of disease and infection, please do not enter the pool with an open wound, GI distress or communicable disease.
- YMCA of Delaware staff have the responsibility and authority to enforce all rules & regulations including:
- Inappropriate or unsafe behavior
- Limiting the number of individuals in the pool or pool area to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all
The YMCA of Delaware will evacuate indoor & outdoor pools and environments when thunder or lightning are present. Once these areas are closed, they must remain closed until 30-minutes after the last audible thunder or sight of lightning.
Service animals are permitted into the pool environment and onto the pool deck, however they are not permitted into the water. Service animals will be welcomed as long as the animal doesn’t harm or pose a threat to other guests
Breastfeeding In/Around the Pool Area
The YMCA of Delaware encourages positive interaction, at all levels, between a mother and her child. As such, mothers who choose to breastfeed their infant are welcome and supported by Y staff in our pool environments at a respectable distance from the pool edge.
Outdoor Pool Locations
Brandywine YMCA (Hanby Outdoor Center)
35 Chestnut Street
Wilmington, DE 19810
The Bear-Glasgow Y features 2 outdoor pools!
351 George Williams Way
Newark, DE 19702
Dover YMCA (Dover Outdoor Center)
825 Kenton Road
Dover, DE 19904
Middletown YMCA (Silver Lake Pool)
New Splash Pad coming soon!
200 E. Cochran Street
Middletown, DE 19709
Western Family YMCA
The Western Family YMCA features 3 outdoor pools! The 10-lane pool (located next to the main building) typically follows branch operating hours. The Outdoor pool complex (located near the fields at the lower end of the parking lot) follows hours listed above.
2600 Capital Trail
Newark, DE 19711
Daily Guest Fees
- $25 Adult (ages 18+)
- $15 Youth (17 & Under)
- Ages 2 & Under are Free
Note: Outdoor pool guest passes can only be purchased by a YMCA of Delaware member. They are only available for purchase online or in the branch during normal operating hours. They cannot be purchased at the outdoor pool.
Outdoor Pool Guest Policy
- Guests are welcome to visit the outdoor pools with an active member as a paid guest.
- All guest passes must be purchased by the member online, or at the Member Service Desk during normal operating hours. Member must have an active and up-to-date account. No payments can be made at the outdoor pool. All guest pass purchases must be made during normal operating hours at the Member Service desk within the branch or purchased online.
- After purchase, the member will receive an email with a guest pass code. That email should be presented by the member when visiting with their guest.
- All guests, 18 years and older, must present a valid ID at the pool, be run through the sex offender database Hall-Pass and sign the informed consent before being granted entrance into the pool area.
- Guests may enter and use the facility as a paid guest as many times as they wish throughout the season while accompanying a YMCA Member.
- Guests are required to follow YMCA Membership Policies and current state health and safety guidelines.
- Members are responsible for all guest behaviors on the property. Guests not following membership policies will be asked to leave the premises and the YMCA members membership is subject to termination.
- Large gatherings and celebrations such as birthday parties are not permitted at the outdoor pools.
- Discounted temporary memberships purchased without pool access, members from non-Delaware Y’s participating in the reciprocity program and free guest passes do not have access to the outdoor pool.
- All previous outdoor pool guest policies are null and void as of May 2022.
- All guest fees & pre-paid guest passes are non-refundable.
- Rainchecks will not be issued for guest passes.