Swim at the Y!
The Y is credited for being the first to develop a group swim instruction program in 1906. We have come a long way since that first group lesson, and we’re excited to present the latest upgrades for our YMCA of Delaware swim lessons to you.
- The YMCA offers a wide range of swimming options to improve swimming skills, build confidence in the water, and teach personal safety.
- Students will learn water safety skills and build stroke techniques, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
- All lessons are conducted under the supervision of certified lifeguards and taught by nationally certified swim instructors trained in CPR, AED, First Aid, and Oxygen Administration.
- Our new swim curriculum is based on extensive research and is focused on the mastery of skills in a way that provides personalized attention and lets students set the pace.
GROUP SWIM LESSONS
Swim Starters (Ages 6-36 months)
Accompanied by an adult, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences, while parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision. Parents work with their children to explore body positions, floating, blowing bubbles, and fundamental safety and aquatic skills.
Swim Basics (Ages 3-12 years)
Beginners will develop comfort with underwater exploration and learn to safely exit in the event of falling into a body of water. This lays the foundation that allows for a student’s future progress in swimming. Students learn personal water safety and essential skills in all classes.
Swim Strokes (Ages 5-12)
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique. In addition, they develop skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
TEEN AND ADULT LESSONS (Ages 13+)
It’s never too late to learn to swim, or to refine swimming skills! In our YMCA swim lessons for adults and teens, students will learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competencies.
Private Swim Lessons
Whether you’re a beginner wanting to gain confidence or an experienced swimmer trying to hone your skills, private lessons are the perfect solution. Personalized attention from our skilled swim instructors will give you or your child the opportunity to focus on what you want to learn. Search by Branch
The YMCA of Delaware has swim teams throughout the state. This competitive program offers children and teens an opportunity to work with trained coaches to improve swimming skills, endurance, and promote a healthy lifestyle. Participants build character values through personal improvement, training, goal-setting, teamwork, and competition. Teams compete locally, regionally and nationally. Swimmers progress as participants, role models, and leaders.
Swim Team Registration for the 2023-2024 season will open on Monday July 31st, 2023 for the following teams:
Registration opens Monday July 31st!
- Swim Team Level Recommendations will be emailed to families on Friday July 28 for those that have been either (A) evaluated for the team over the past few weeks or (B) have been part of our Swim Team since September 2022.
- NEW for this year: Families can do a onetime registration and swim through July 28, 2024!
- Swimmers can swim the Fall/Winter season and continue straight through to the end of July 2024.
- Swimmers can also withdraw at any point in the swim season as long as a withdrawal form is completed by 15th of the prior month, to avoid the draft of the 1st of the following month.
- Any withdrawal must submitted by the 15th, will be effective for the following month. A swimmer may continue to swim through the end of the month paid and no refund or credit will be issued.
- The season will start Tuesday September 5th, 2023.
- Swim team registration fee of $50 per swimmer (YMCA swim lesson cost covers t-shirt and swim cap) and first month draft is due at the time of registration, thereafter dues will draft starting October 1st .
- Swimmer must be an active member while enrolled in the swim team.
- USA Swimming Memberships required for Silver groups and above. Registration will happen in September/October.
- Families can register beginning Monday July 31 for the following swim team levels: Academy, Bronze, Silver, Gold
- Families can place their swimmer on the waitlist beginning Monday July 31 for the following swim team levels: Platinum, Junior National, National
- No payments will be collected at time of registration for Platinum through National, payment information will be collected, but not charged until officially registered
- Once we review and confirm they are a good fit for the specific training level, we will reach out to the family to finalize registration and confirm the payment ahead of the start of the season
We are very excited for a wonderful 2023/2024 Swim Team Season ahead and if you have any questions about the above information please connect with your Aquatics Director.
Are you interested in trying out for one of our swim teams? Please complete the Swim Team Evaluation Request form.
S.W.A.M. (Swimming With Autism)
The YMCA of Delaware and Autism Delaware have come together to offer a water safety program to children and adults with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Called “S.W.A.M.,” the program is based on the “Swimming With Autism” curriculum developed by the Autism Society of San Diego, California.
Swimming laps provides a great aerobic workout that will strengthen, tone, and lengthen your muscles. We offer regular lap swimming opportunities at all of our locations, and all levels are welcome. Click here for a list of schedules by location.
Lifeguard Certification through Ellis and Associates is a hands-on proactive approach to lifeguard training. The International Lifeguard Training Program is a single, integrated curriculum that provides certification valid for one year. Participants must complete an assigned resource document, achieve a minimum of 80% on a written exam and demonstrate mastery of all practical skills. Search by Branch
Looking for quality time with the family? Take a dip and play in one of our many pools! We offer regular opportunities for recreational swim at all of our Y locations. Click here for a list of schedules by location.
Here at the Y, we believe that every child should have the opportunity to learn how to swim. Every year the YMCA of Delaware engages youth through local community partnerships to teach basic swimming skills and safety around water for youth between the ages 3 – 17. For more information, please contact your local branch.
Water Wise is in partnership with the USA Swimming Foundation’s Make a Splash Initiative.