Diversity is a fact. Equity is a choice. Inclusion is an action. Belonging is an outcome. ~Arthur Chan
The YMCA of Delaware is an inclusive organization open to all. We welcome all people regardless of ability, age, background, ethnicity/race, faith, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation. The Y believes that, in a diverse world, we are stronger when we are inclusive, when our doors are open to all and when everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
Our goal is to create an environment in which members, staff and other stakeholders experience an organization rich with multicultural inclusivity, the promotion of equity across all walks of life and a genuine sense of belonging FOR ALL, with intentional focus on underrepresented and historically marginalized communities.
The Y is FOR ALL—where trust, social bonding and healing are created. Where diversity, character formation, mental wellness, and equity are operational cornerstones. The Y is where EVERYONE BELONGS.
Learn more about the dimensions of diversity.
FORWARD TOGETHER. FOR ALL. FOR A BETTER US.
By promoting social equity and building a diverse and inclusive workforce, we can create a stronger, more vibrant and cohesive community. At the YMCA of Delaware, we are committed to making this a priority and working towards a future where everyone feels like they belong and can thrive.
How do we get there?
The YMCA nationally is one of the oldest direct serving organizations in the United States. We’ve been serving communities and making lasting change for more than 175 years. That doesn’t just happen by accident. Our longevity is rooted in our commitment to adapt to emergent needs and welcoming all. To be welcoming to all is a big commitment. That’s why one of our strategic imperatives is to be a great place to work and to belong.
We do that five ways:
- Diverse Workforce: Our hope is that our staff and our membership is reflective of the diverse communities that we live in.
- Professional Development: We’re committed to equipping our teams with the skills they need to navigate the diverse world we live in. Throughout the year, we offer a plethora of different professional development opportunities to build our skills.
- Building Partnerships: We’re committed to building partnerships with others that help expand our reach and impact. We know we can’t fulfill this commitment without the support of others.
- Belonging: We work to create a work environment where our employees can bring their whole and best selves to work. We know when staff feel good, they are more likely to be engaged, we’re more likely to retain them, and they’re more likely to be inspired to help us achieve our mission.
- Equity For All: We are committed to making sure that no one is turned away for the inability to pay and will continue to demand equity for all.
WHAT IS EQUITY?
Equity is a continual process of ensuring that every individual has the access and opportunity they need to thrive, and are not at a disadvantage from achieving their potential because of their background, identity, or social position. To advance equity, we must evaluate and dismantle the systemic barriers to opportunities, access and resources that have prevented the full participation of some groups (based on certain characteristics including ability, age, citizenship, economic background, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity/expression, national origin, race and sexual orientation), and develop relevant solutions and support systems.
Today, we recognize that in order to be truly “for all,” we need to lead with equity. That means working with local and global partners to identify and remove the barriers that historically have prevented some of those in our communities from thriving, while ensuring that each individual can access the unique support they need.