All YMCA of Delaware branches will be visited by Alex the Autism Delaware Bear
Wilmington, Delaware – The YMCA of Delaware, in partnership with Autism Delaware, will hold a statewide Acceptance and Inclusion Tour throughout April, featuring Alex the Autism Delaware Bear. Alex’s month-long trek to all Ys across the state will begin at the Sussex Family YMCA on April 5th and wraps up on April 29th at the Brandywine Y.
The YMCA Acceptance and Inclusion tour focuses on welcoming those with autism into every aspect of our community – from sports and recreation to summer camp and the arts.
“The YMCA continues to play a vital role building bridges, connecting communities and demanding equity for all,” said YMCA of Delaware CEO Jarrett Royster. “The Acceptance and Inclusion Tour is a great way to reach out to our diverse community while highlighting our uniqueness and celebrating what binds us together. The YMCA is welcoming for all.”
Alex the Autism Delaware Bear is named in honor of Alex Eldreth, Autism Delaware’s former Public Policy and Community Outreach Director, who passed away unexpectedly in 2017. Eldreth was a passionate advocate for autism inclusion.
“Alex Eldreth lived our organization’s deep commitment to advancing real changes in Delaware’s policies to make autism inclusion more than just words,” said Brian Hall, Autism Delaware’s Executive Director. “And everything that Alex ‘the bear’ does at the YMCA shows the joy of working together for a world that welcomes people on the spectrum.”
The Acceptance and Inclusion tour will make stops at YMCA of Delaware branches on the following dates:
- April 5th: Sussex Family YMCA – 20080 Church Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
- April 10th: Dover YMCA – 1137 South State Street, Dover, DE 19901
- April 14th: Middletown YMCA – 404 N. Cass Street, Middletown, DE 19709
- April 17th: Bear-Glasgow YMCA – 351 George Williams Way Newark, DE 19702
- April 20th: Western Family YMCA – 2600 Capitol Trail, Newark, DE 19711
- April 25th: Walnut Street YMCA – 1000 North Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801
- April 27th: Central YMCA – 501 West Eleventh Street Wilmington, DE 19801
- April 29th: Brandywine YMCA – 3 Mount Lebanon Road Wilmington, DE 19803